Travel Photo Thursday: “Finding Vivian Maier”

June 27, 2013

in Travel Photo Thursday

• Sharebar

“Street photography.”

What is it? Who does it?

Wikipedia says that:

Street photography is a genre of photography that features subjects in candid situations within public places and does not necessitate the presence of a street or even the urban environment. ‘Street’ simply refers to a place where human activity can be seen, a place to observe and capture social interaction. The subject can even be absent of any people and can be that of object or environment where an object projects a human character or an environment is decidedly human.”

Fast Food IMG_4594

Henri Cartier-Bresson

(CEA Flickrstream Photo)

Although I don’t consider myself a “street photographer” per se, this photo which I took in London four years ago certainly qualifies as “street photography.”

Henri Cartier-Bresson (photo at right),  Louis Stettner, and Garry Winogrand are just three of the world’s most famous street photographers.

But who’s ever heard of Vivian Maier, someone that could be described as a “closet street photographer”?

Vivian Maier was a nanny who moved from New York to Chicago in 1956, just a few years after she became interested in photography. The “official” Vivian Maier Website says that:

“In her leisure Vivian would shoot photos that she zealously hid from the eyes of others. Taking snapshots into the late 1990′s, Maier would leave behind a body of work comprising over 100,000 negatives. Additionally Vivian’s passion for documenting extended to a series of homemade documentary films and audio recordings. Interesting bits of Americana, the demolition of historic landmarks for new development, the unseen lives of ethnics and the destitute, as well as some of Chicago’s most cherished sites were all meticulously catalogued by Vivian Maier.”

Maier died in 2009, about two years after John Maloof found her work at a storage locker auction in 2007. He and Charlie Siskel are working on a documentary film about her. Here’s the movie’s trailer.

You can follow work on the film at the Finding Vivian Maier Facebook Page.

(Click on an image to enlarge to full-size. Visit Budget Travelers Sandbox for more of this week’s Travel Photo Thursday shots.)

Get more travel news! Subscribe to our e-mail updates!

Back to Front Page Stories Explore This Blog

Digiprove sealCopyright secured by Digiprove © 2013 Dick Jordan

Last updated by at .

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Jackie Smith
Twitter:
June 27, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I always benefit from your travel photo tips, Dick. Most interesting post!
Jackie Smith recently posted..Our Wedding Night ~ and other Travel Tales. . .My Profile

Lisa from Gone With The Family
Twitter:
June 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM

What a fascinating story – she must have been truly passionate about what she was doing!
Lisa from Gone With The Family recently posted..Blue Mountain Resort: The Perfect Family GetawayMy Profile

Sophie
Twitter:
June 27, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Love it when people finally get their due credit and attention. 100 000 negatives, wow; esp. considering it’s in the pre-digital era.
Sophie recently posted..Cheetahs and other rescue animals at InverdoornMy Profile

Nancie
Twitter:
June 27, 2013 at 4:10 PM

She sounds like a really interesting person. I’m going to join her FB page. Thanks for introducing her, Dick!
Nancie recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday — June 27th, 2013 — Traveling Across Time Zones and CulturesMy Profile

Marisol
Twitter:
June 27, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Hi Dick,
I’m so happy that you touched on Vivian! I so love her works since I learned about her. What an incredible work by a mysterious woman.
Marisol recently posted..Dominica: The Nature Island of the CaribbeanMy Profile

budget jan
Twitter:
June 28, 2013 at 4:33 AM

That is an amazing story. Thank goodness all of her hard work will finally be seen.
budget jan recently posted..Experience Heaven and Earth in Hoi An – Post 11My Profile

Muza-chan
Twitter:
June 28, 2013 at 5:39 AM

Interesting article :) Thsnk you, Dick.
Muza-chan recently posted..A Japanese Song per Day: Hitomi – Love 2000My Profile

Michele {Malaysian Meanders} June 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM

That sounds like a fascinating documentary. I had never heard of Vivian Maier, but wow, what amazing photos she took. I think I’m always hesitant about doing street photography because of privacy concerns. I feel like I’m intruding if I take photos of strangers either with their permission or on the sly.
Michele {Malaysian Meanders} recently posted..Getting a Lock on Love in ParisMy Profile

Cathy Sweeney
Twitter:
June 30, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I didn’t know of Vivian Maier before, but I’m glad I do now. I’d love to see some of her work, especially since her subject was Chicago — old hometown. Very interesting, Dick.
Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Italy 2013: Ciao Milano!My Profile

Ron July 18, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Wow I think that’s more negatives than photos I have taken period. Fascinating!